Gardens and Parks of London
Parks of London
Battersea Park

Battersea Park is a 200 acre (83-hectare) green space at Battersea, situated on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Chelsea, and was opened in 1858.
The park occupies marshland reclaimed from the Thames and land formerly used for market gardens. Prior to 1846 the area now covered by the park was known as Battersea fields, a popular spot for duelling.
On 21 March 1829, the Duke of Wellington and the Earl of Winchilsea met on Battersea fields to settle a matter of honour. When it came time to fire, the Duke aimed his duelling pistol wide and Winchilsea fired his into the air. Winchilsea later wrote the Duke a groveling apology.
Separated from the river by a narrow raised causeway, the fields consisted of low, fertile marshes intersected by streams and ditches with the chief crops being carrots, melons, lavender (all the way up to Lavender Hill) and the famous “Battersea Bunches” of asparagus.
Running along the riverside from the fields were industrial concerns and wharves, including a pottery, copper works, lime kiln, chemical works, and, increasingly, railways. The site of Battersea Power Station was partly occupied by the famously bawdy Red House Tavern, patronised by Charles Dickens. Access was via the rickety wooden Battersea Bridge or by ferry from the Chelsea bank.
Read More

Address   Battersea
    London, SW11 4NJ
Open   8.00 to dusk
    Gallery