Gardens and Parks of London
Royal Parks of London
Greenwich Park

Greenwich Park is a former hunting park located Greenwich and is one of the largest single green spaces in south-east London.

One of the Royal Parks of London, and the first to be enclosed (in 1433), it covers 74 hectares (180 acres), and is part of the Greenwich World Heritage Site.

It commands fine views over the River Thames, the Isle of Dogs and the City of London.

The estate of some 200 acres (81 ha) was originally owned by the Abbey of St. Peter at Ghent, but reverted to the Crown in 1427 and was given by Henry VI to his uncle Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester (Barker 1999). He built a house by the river, Bella Court, and a small castle, called Greenwich Castle as well as Duke Humphrey’s Tower, on the hill.

The former evolved first into the Tudor Palace of Placentia and then into the Queen’s House and Greenwich Hospital. Greenwich Castle, by now in disrepair, was chosen for the site of the Royal Observatory by Charles II in 1675.

Address Greenwich Park
  London SE10 9NF
Open 7.30 to dusk